Monday, May 15, 2006

Another Adventure in Latin America

I´m taking one more step toward figuring out what I want to be when I grow up, spending about eight months in Peru working on various social development projects. The non-profit organization that I started four years ago, Una Familia, has been supporting three projects here, near Lima, Cusco and Trujillo. They are all very different, involving health, education and security, but what they all have in common is empowerment of people to create a better life for themselves and their children.

As many of you know, I´ve been trying for the last several years to make a transition from doing what I´m good at (software engineering) to doing what I love to do (international development). I happened to bring along a book of poems by Robert Frost, and these lines from the end of ¨Two Tramps In Mud Time¨ seem to describe what I´m trying to accomplish in my personal life.

But yield who will to their separation,
My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future´s sakes.

No comments: